Antonio Felix da Costa gave Carlin the first pole of the 2012 GP3 season at Barcelona.The Portuguese driver edged out Lotus duo Conor Daly and Aaro Vainio in a top three covered by just 0.09sec.
Mitch Evans held pole for MW Arden early on, but was edged back to fourth on the grid, 0.193sec off the pace.
Status driver Marlon Stockinger completed the top five, while Manor's Tio Ellinas secured sixth and top rookie honors despite missing free practice – although he is under investigation over a potential yellow flag infringement.
Daniel Abt (Lotus), Patric Niederhauser (Jenzer), practice pacesetter Matias Laine (MW Arden) and Dmitry Suranovich (Manor) completed the top 10.
Auto GP champion Kevin Ceccon will start on the back row after failing to set a time in his Ocean car.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Antonio Felix da Costa Carlin 1m38.642s
2. Conor Daly Lotus 1m38.720s + 0.078s
3. Aaro Vainio Lotus 1m38.732s + 0.090s
4. Mitch Evans MW Arden 1m38.835s + 0.193s
5. Marlon Stockinger Status 1m38.867s + 0.225s
6. Tio Ellinas Manor 1m38.894s + 0.252s
7. Daniel Abt Lotus 1m38.945s + 0.303s
8. Patric Niederhauser Jenzer 1m38.988s + 0.346s
9. Matias Laine MW Arden 1m39.151s + 0.509s
10. Dmitry Suranovich Manor 1m39.164s + 0.522s
11. David Fumanelli MW Arden 1m39.175s + 0.533s
12. Tamas Pal Kiss Atech CRS 1m39.201s + 0.559s
13. Alex Brundle Carlin 1m39.228s + 0.586s
14. William Buller Carlin 1m39.512s + 0.870s
15. Robert Visoiu Jenzer 1m39.553s + 0.911s
16. Kotaro Sakurai Status 1m39.701s + 1.059s
17. Antonio Spavone Trident 1m39.932s + 1.290s
18. Alice Powell Status 1m40.002s + 1.360s
19. Fabiano Machado Manor 1m40.278s + 1.636s
20. John Wartique Atech CRS 1m40.578s + 1.936s
21. Ethan Ringel Atech CRS 1m40.640s + 1.998s
22. Jakub Klasterka Jenzer 1m41.053s + 2.411s
23. Robert Cregan Ocean 1m41.112s + 2.470s
24. Carmen Jorda Ocean 1m42.066s + 3.424s
25. Vicky Piria Trident 1m43.509s + 4.867s
26. Kevin Ceccon Ocean