Jim Beam Racing's James Courtney has taken victory in the second race of the Dunlop Townsville 400 on the streets of Townsville.
Courtney took the lead on lap nine, but dropped behind Jamie Whincup after the first round of pit stops. But he was back on to the tail of Whincup as the safety car came on to the circuit as a utility cover was starting to come loose.
With ten litres less fuel to take on at the stop, Courtney snuck out just ahead of Whincup, and although Whincup kept in touch, he was not quite able to match Courtney's pace, Courtney getting the win he looked capable of early in yesterday's race.
Behind Whincup was the Holden Racing Team duo of Garth Tander and Will Davison, Tander leading early but not quite able to match the leading duo, while Davison did well to recover to fourth after dropping to ninth after losing out in the pitstops during the first safety car.
Courtney's team-mate Steven Johnson did an even more remarkable job to finish fifth, having started 22nd after feeling unwell overnight. Just behind him was Mark Winterbottom, with Lee Holdsworth and Paul Dumbrell on his tail.
Ninth for Craig Lowndes was a tremendous achievement after losing his radio, and pitting just as the field restarted after the safety car to drop to 21st. Michael Caruso completed the top ten finishers.
After the weekend's two races points leader Jamie Whincup has extended his lead, 174 points ahead of Will Davison with Garth Tander another 174 points further back. Craig Lowndes is now 450 points back from his teammate and Steven Johnson completes the top five, 510 points away from leader Whincup.RESULTS:
Pos Driver Make Time
1. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1:35:03.3900
2. Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG + 0.9074
3. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE + 2.1954
4. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE + 6.2124
5. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG + 9.0542
6. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG + 10.4096
7. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE + 10.9119
8. Paul Dumbrell Holden Commodore VE + 11.6590
9. Craig Lowndes Ford Falcon FG + 18.3246
10. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE + 19.2062
11. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE + 20.4141
12. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE + 23.4045
13. Tim Slade Holden Commodore VE + 27.2809
14. David Reynolds Holden Commodore VE + 29.4711
15. Michael Patrizi ord Falcon BF + 34.1347
16. Dean Fiore Holden Commodore VE + 45.3176
17. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE + 1:23.2645
18. Jason Bright Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
19. Fabian Coulthard Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
20. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG + 1 lap
21. Mark McNally Holden Commodore VE + 2 laps
22. Jack Perkins Holden Commodore VE + 6 laps
Driver Make Laps
Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 71
Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 70
Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 66
Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 50
Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 43
Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 13
Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 12