The 15th Annual Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival, an annual racecar and military tribute event, is set for the weekend of Sept. 22-23in Coronado, a community of San Diego, Calif. The weekend-long races will feature the SCCA Playboy MX-5 Cup as well as vintage races featuring 225 of the world's most pedigreed vintage racecars chosen to compete on the basis of their historical significance and certified authenticity.
This year's event also celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Navy SEALs.
Set against the stunning backdrop of San Diego Bay, the event will be held at a most distinctive location – Naval Air Station North Island, the birthplace of Naval Aviation.
Grandstands will offer a spectator-friendly 1.7-mile course that is constructed in a matter of days on the runways of this military base. The fans not only watch the different race groups zoom around the track, but are able to step back in time to enjoy auto racing's rich history with tours of the racecar pits and to speak with the drivers of these unique machines. Car enthusiasts also can visit the car club corral, which shows off a variety of automobiles that range in age, model and make. In addition, a vendor village will offer car equipment, food and beverage and racing accessories.
Last, but not least, a multitude of current U.S Navy jets and helicopters, special boats and hovercraft, as well as naval ship tours, will be on display at the entrance of the event, with pilots eager to answer questions and show off the features of these craft as you are provided access. This is a perfect opportunity to take pictures and ask any questions you might have.
Activities scheduled for the event include:
SCCA Mazda MX-5 Cup Series professional racing
• Featuring Elliott Skeer, local Carlsbad, Calif. driver and High Tech High School senior
Military Static Displays
• View a multitude of current Navy jets and helicopters, special boats and hovercraft, as well as vintage aircraft and step aboard these massive and historical machines.
Driven2Dare Military Tribute Safety Tour
• Autographs by Rickey Gadsen – Kawasaki Nine-Time World Champion Drag Racer
• Motorcycle simulator demonstrations n Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2000 Rookie Race Car on Display
• Tire Change Challenge in American Truck Historical Society vintage semi-trucks
Stock Car Race Series Military Pit Crew Challenge
• 16 teams of 10 active-duty sailors and marines timed as they recreate an actual NASCAR pit stop
• Drifting is an untimed freestyle motorsport based on achievement of the supreme sideways angle and speed in the corner. Drifters gain maximum points through stylized movements and skilled maneuvering techniques.
Ride & Drive
• Would-be racers test drive high-performance vehicles from the auto industry's leading manufacturers: Chevrolet, BMW, Volkswagen and Mazda. On the Mazda track, ride along with a professional teachers from the renowned Skip Barber Racing School.
It's all set for Saturday and Sunday, September 22-23, in Coronado. Admission is $25 one day and $35 for both days, in advance. Tickets will also be available at the venue ($35 one day and $45 for both days). Children 12 and under are FREE with paid adult admission. Active duty military and their direct dependents are FREE with ID.