World touring: Lopez in control in first Moscow race
Polesitter Jose Maria Lopez survived a touch from Gabriele Tarquini at Turn 1 to claim his fourth World Touring Car Championship victory of the season at Moscow Raceway.
Factory Honda drivers Tarquini and Tiago Monteiro, starting second and third, had stated their intention to be aggressive prior to the start as they sought to earn the Japanese manufacturer's first win of 2014. Both Civic WTCCs initially appeared to have made the jump on Lopez, who was forced to make a bold maneuver around Tarquini's outside at the first corner.
Former Formula 1 driver Monteiro mildly ran into the back of Tarquini into the braking zone, sending the Italian into the side of Lopez, who was forced onto the asphalt run-off. Thereafter, championship leader Lopez was in control, securing a 3.1-second margin of victory over Tarquini.
Monteiro was passed by nine-time World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb for third further around the lap, and soon came under attack from the Frenchman's factory Citroen teammate Yvan Muller.
Reigning WTCC champion Muller pressured Monteiro into a mistake at the final corner at the conclusion of the fourth lap. But in the confusion as Monteiro ran off the road, dropping to seventh, Muller was jumped by an opportunistic Tom Chilton on the exit.
ROAL Chevrolet driver Chilton kept Muller in his mirrors until the final lap. The Alsace star finally achieved an overlap on Chilton's Cruze onto the pits straight, setting up a successful passing move at Turn 1.
The sixth round of the championship at Moscow Raceway marked the first appearance of the season of Ma Qing Hua in a fourth Citroen C-Elysee. The Chinese driver worked his way up from ninth to sixth, lapping at a respectable pace compared to teammates Loeb and Muller.
Chilton's ROAL teammate Tom Coronel, who qualified a lowly 13th after suffering an oversteer moment at Turn 3 on Saturday, produced an exuberant, rally-style maneuver at the final corner to pass Zengo Motorsport driver Norbert Michelisz for eighth.
Race two polesitter Hugo Valente was knocked out of the race by the wayward Campos Chevrolet of teammate Dusan Borkovic at the end of lap two. Borkovic reported that his car had previously sustained damage on the opening lap, affecting the tow and braking, which may have contributed to the accident.
Results - 16 laps:Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap 1. Jose Maria Lopez Citroen 27m05.120s 2. Gabriele Tarquini Honda +3.170s 3. Sebastien Loeb Citroen +3.425s 4. Yvan Muller Citroen +5.902s 5. Tom Chilton ROAL Chevrolet +6.816s 6. Ma Qing Hua Citroen +7.505s 7. Tiago Monteiro Honda +13.099s 8. Tom Coronel ROAL Chevrolet +15.061s 9. Norbert Michelisz Zengo Honda +24.766s 10. Rob Huff Lada +27.754s 11. Mehdi Bennani Proteam Honda +28.067s 12. Gianni Morbidelli Munnich Chevrolet +28.579s 13. Rene Munnich Munnich Chevrolet +29.323s 14. James Thompson Lada +35.188s 15. Mikhail Kozlovskiy Lada +38.472s 16. Franz Engstler Engstler BMW +1m12.432s 17. Pasquale Di Sabatino Engstler BMW +1m24.023s 18. John Filippi Campos SEAT +1m37.942s Retirements: Nikita Misiulia Campos SEAT 7 laps Hugo Valente Campos Chevrolet 1 lap Dusan Borkovic Campos Chevrolet 1 lap
Subscribe to Racer
- PWC: Davison takes advantage of drying track to take last-second GT pole at Barber
- IndyCar: Dixon tops first practice at Barber
- WRC: Meeke's Argentina lead shrinks
- XFinity: Pit fire engulfs crew members
- Rowland wins FR3.5 season opener
- IndyCar: Daly confirmed in third SPM car for Indy 500
- F1: It's time for Renault action, Kvyat says
- Wilson "disillusioned" with WRC officials
- A Tribute to Steve Byrnes
- Malja loses FR3.5 front row spot
- Latvala won't try to catch Meeke
- Vaxiviere form continues with FR3.5 pole
- XFinity: Hamlin crushes Richmond field
- Indy Lights: Pigot smashes track record for Barber pole
- USF2000: Come-from-behind win for Telitz at Barber
- PWC: Wilson wins GTS Round 5 at Barber
- NASCAR: Logano claims Richmond pole
- SCCA: Spec Miata under the lights at Daytona highlights 2015 Runoffs schedule
- WRC: Meeke takes large Rally Argentina lead into Saturday
- PWC: Baldwin scores GTS pole at Barber
Video: The Heroes IV Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
TUDOR United SportsCar Championship: Interviews and insights from Marshall Pruett.