Citroen Racing will not appeal against Mikko Hirvonen's exclusion from last week's Rally of Portugal, despite initially stating it intended to. The French manufacturer says it has investigated the matter independently and elected not to pursue a case through the FIA's International Court of Appeal.
Following the stewards' decision on Sunday night, in line with the WRC's sporting code, Citroen had a one-hour window to decide if it would appeal or not. It then had 48 hours to confirm the appeal, but has now decided against the action.
A statement from Citroen said: "As further analysis of the matter and discussions with experts did not uncover any new technical elements that might have been used to alter the harsh penalty handed out by the stewards, Citroen decided not to pursue what would have been a long and costly procedure."
Team principal Yves Matton said: "We had stated our intention to appeal in order to give us time to analyze the matter in more detail. As regards the clutch, our supplier has sent us a letter of apology acknowledging the existence of a batch of parts which were different from those on the homologation documentation. It was never our intention to cheat. At the same time, this situation forces us to look again at our procedures, since these parts were not picked up during our own checks.
"On the second point identified by the scrutineers, the sole supplier of turbocompressors approved by the FIA for all manufacturers, has confirmed to us the plastic expansion of the wheel turbine. Additional analysis will undoubtedly confirm that this was due to wear on the part. We accept this harsh penalty but are determined to learn the lessons and ensure that we will be even better in future.
"We still lead both World Championships, but the gaps have been reduced. We now go into the upcoming rallies more determined than ever to get back to winning ways."