LIME ROCK, Conn. (Aug. 16, 2008) – Chris Castagna, 22, of South Boston, Mass., won his first race of the Jetta TDI Cup Saturday at Lime Rock Park, after maintaining a lead he acquired early on in the 30-minute sprint. The race was a fierce competition from the beginning, with the 30 amateur drivers testing their skills on the recently re-paved mile and a half track. Finishing second was Mark Pombo, 25, of Duluth, Ga., followed by Josh Hurley, 23, of Cooper City, Fla.
“I was kind of disappointed in the first three races and am glad to finally pull the win out here at my home track,” said Castagna. “I couldn’t have done it without the support of Volkswagen, Bosch and New England Constables.”
Famed local F1 driver Sam Posey offered instruction and track tips to the drivers throughout the weekend based on his many years of experience at this historic track.
“It’s a great honor for us to have the Jetta TDI Cup come to Lime Rock. I don’t think Lime Rock’s ever seen anything like it with the tents and organization on this scale,” said Posey. “It’s great to see 30 young kids and the process of discovery they have to go through to be competitive here. It’s very much in the spirit of Lime Rock, which is a track where a lot of people have learned how to drive. The drivers are all eager, very capable and have great cars at their disposal. I think it’s fantastic.”
The drivers will now look forward to the next race at Iowa Speedway, on September 20th, which will kick off the final three back-to-back weekends of racing, leading up to the finale at Road Atlanta the first weekend in October.
Complete Jetta TDI Cup provisional race results are listed below with finishing position, driver, hometown, car sponsor, laps completed, and distance behind leader or reason out, if any.
1. Chris Castagna, Boston, Mass., Bosch, 25
2. Mark Pombo, Duluth, Ga., ful®, 25, -.393
3. Josh Hurley(R), Cooper City, Fla., Athletes’ Performance, 25, -1.083
4. Caleb Kenney, Berkeley, Calif., Hoopla, 25, -3.475
5. Michael DeNino, Gaithersburg, Md., Castrol, 25, -3.837
6. David Jurca, Federal Way, Wash., Kyosho, 25, -3.990
7. Timmy Megenbier, Melrose Park, Ill., SCCA, 25, -4.645
8. Jimmy Underhill, Denver, Colo., Bosch, 25, -6.975
9. Liam Kenney, Sterling, Va., ViON, 25, -9.292
10. Chris Holman, Burlington, Ontario, Kyosho, 25, -9.600
11. Taylor Broekemeier(R), Fort Collins, Colo., Bondurant, 25, -9.997
12. Juan Pablo SierraLendle, Puebla, Mexico, Aggreko, 25, -10.273
13. Wyatt Dallenbach, San Antonio, Texas, DC United, 25, -10.785
14. Chris Kuenning(R), Grand Rapids, Mich., Aggreko, 25, -11.173
15. Derek Jones, Philadelphia, Pa., Oakley, 25, -11.320
16. Andrew Cordeiro(R), Woodbridge Ont, Canada, Castrol, 25, -22.146
17. David Heinz(R), Pittsburgh, Pa., Pre Loved, 25, -26.759
18. Chad Brassfield(R), Phoenix, Ariz., UTI, 25, -27.129
19. Adam Love(R), Normal, Ill., SCORE, 25, -28.237
20. Adam Crepin(R), St. Louis, Mo., SCCA, 25, -28.956
21. Jake Dallenbach, San Antonio, Texas, Specialty, 25, -3 laps
22. Ryan Buetzer, Long Beach, Calif., ViON, 25, -29.677
23. David Richert(R), Niverville MB, Canada, Hoopla, 25, -30.100
24. Gary Williams_Jr., Dana Point, Calif., Oakley, 25, -36.287
25. Noah Arundel, Tonka Bay, Minn., VW P&A, 25, -37.350
26. Andy Lee, Colorado Springs, Colo., Red Bull, 24, -1 lap
27. Adam Kretschmer(R), Brampton, Ontario, VW Credit, 22, -3 laps
28. Evan Pflock(R), Redondo Beach, Calif., SCORE, 21, -4 laps
29. Nick Mancuso, Mettawa, Ill., Auto Logistics, 16, DNF
30. John Shim(R), Starkville, Miss., VW Credit, 5, DNF
For more information on the Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup, click the white SCCA Pro Racing tab at the top of the page.