Max Chilton set the fastest time in GP2 free practice at Monza on Friday morning, ahead of this afternoon's crucial qualifying session.
Chilton topped the times for much of the session in his Carlin machine, eventually working his times down to a 1m31.850s. The Briton was 0.413s clear of DAMS driver Felipe Nasr, with series returnee Luca Filippi a strong third for Coloni.
Filippi, who hasn't raced at all since winning at the corresponding event last year, was half a second off the pace, having impressively topped the times on his first lap back in the car early on.
Joint points leader Davide Valsecchi was fourth fastest for DAMS, with title rival Luiz Razia down in 10th for Arden. Razia benefited from a front flap setting change halfway through the session, having languished in 16th for much of it.
Spa feature race winner Marcus Ericsson was fifth fastest, ahead of Giedo van der Garde and Esteban Gutierrez. Stefano Coletti was eighth fastest on his debut for Addax, following his switch from Coloni.
The main casualty of the session was championship contender James Calado, who lost control of the rear end of his Lotus GP machine on the exit of the Ascari chicane and thudded backwards into the tire wall. His car sustained some damage, but it should be fixable for qualifying in three and a half hours time. He was only 15th fastest, however.
Regular tail-ender Rodolfo Gonzalez also crashed out, spinning into the gravel at the Parabolica.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Max Chilton Carlin 1m31.850s
2. Felipe Nasr DAMS 1m32.263s + 0.413s
3. Luca Filippi Coloni 1m32.391s + 0.541s
4. Davide Valsecchi DAMS 1m32.401s + 0.551s
5. Marcus Ericsson iSport 1m32.410s + 0.560s
6. Giedo van der Garde Caterham 1m32.463s + 0.613s
7. Esteban Gutierrez Lotus 1m32.571s + 0.721s
8. Stefano Coletti Rapax 1m32.692s + 0.842s
9. Nathanael Berthon Racing Engineering 1m32.830s + 0.980s
10. Luiz Razia Arden 1m32.834s + 0.984s
11. Rio Haryanto Carlin 1m32.950s + 1.100s
12. Julian Leal Trident 1m32.954s + 1.104s
13. Johnny Cecotto Jr Addax 1m32.961s + 1.111s
14. Fabio Onidi Coloni 1m32.982s + 1.132s
15. James Calado Lotus 1m33.058s + 1.208s
16. Simon Trummer Arden 1m33.084s + 1.234s
17. Stephane Richelmi Trident 1m33.147s + 1.297s
18. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering 1m33.149s + 1.299s
19. Sergio Canamasas Lazarus 1m33.352s + 1.502s
20. Jolyon Palmer iSport 1m33.471s + 1.621s
21. Rodolfo Gonzalez Caterham 1m33.677s + 1.827s
22. Ricardo Teixeira Rapax 1m33.696s + 1.846s
23. Nigel Melker Ocean 1m33.780s + 1.930s
24. Victor Guerin Ocean 1m33.940s + 2.090s
25. Rene Binder Lazarus 1m33.977s + 2.127s
26. Jake Rosenzweig Addax 1m34.518s + 2.668s