Chevrolet laid out the third phase of its new IndyCar engine development during a press conference Friday morning at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Following an initial shakedown at Putnam Park in Indianapolis and a later two-day test at Mid-Ohio – both with Team Penske's Will Power at the wheel – Chevrolet has a “quite extensive” test program scheduled between now and mid-December, said GM Racing director Mark Kent.
“I did 10 laps at Putnam Park, then the two-day test at Mid-Ohio,” said Power (ABOVE). “It was awesome driving out with a turbo – first time since 2007 (when he raced turbo Cosworths in Champ Car -Ed.). The test went flawlessly as far as the engine. I did 190 laps and was revving it up well. Illmor and GM's job so far was excellent for the first time, no reliability problems. It was a successful test, and we'll continue to ramp it up and have the engine better.”
After Sunday's race at Las Vegas, Penske will stick around to test on the oval with Ryan Briscoe, with Power's next test Nov. 14 and 15 at Barber Motorsports Park. Further full-team engine tests are scheduled at Sebring, Fontana and Homestead.
The Chevrolet development will be broken down by one designated driver per the three announced teams – Power for Penske, Ryan Hunter-Reay for Andretti Autosport and JR Hildebrand for Panther Racing. Chevrolet is likely to add a fourth team, but that was not announced Friday.
“We put together a team of people from each of our teams,” Roger Penske explained about the “shared” testing program. “Ryan and JR will run it as well. It's a team effort. The crews and owners are committed to it. We have a lot on our shoulders.”