Gabby Chaves triumphed in a tough battle with Peter Dempsey to secure pole for the Firestone Indy Lights race at Mid-Ohio.
The Colombian secured the top spot on his final lap with a 1m13.3306s, beating Dempsey -- who also saved his best lap for last -- by 0.136 second. But the pair had dominated most of the session, regularly trading fastest times right through the final 20 minutes.
Jack Hawksworth's final lap was good enough to place him third on the grid, a further 0.1sec behind Dempsey, with Carlos Munoz recovering from a quiet start to the session to get himself onto the second row.
Axcil Jeffries, making his debut this weekend with BHA, was among the leaders early on before being shuffled back to sixth, just behind Zach Veach.
Sage Karam will start from ninth after his car spent most of the session undergoing repairs in the garage following an incident in the opening minutes.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Gabby Chaves Schmidt 1m13.3306s
2. Peter Dempsey Belardi 1m13.4633s +0.1327s
3. Jack Hawksworth Schmidt 1m13.6700s +0.3394s
4. Carlos Munoz Andretti 1m13.6748s +0.3442s
5. Zach Veach Andretti 1m13.9403s +0.6097s
6. Axcil Jefferies BHA 1m14.0317s +0.7011s
7. Juan Pablo Garcia Moore 1m14.1037s +0.7731s
8. Jorge Goncalvez Belardi 1m14.3669s +1.0363s
9. Sage Karam Schmidt 1m14.7407s +1.4101s
10. Matthew Di Leo MDL/Dragffy 1m15.0978s +1.7672s
11. Giancarlo Serenelli Belardi 1m16.4009s +3.0703s