Penske's Helio Castroneves beat the Ganassi duo to the top spot again on the second day of practice for the Indianapolis 500.
With the timetable rearranged following Saturday's rain, the field was given three hours and 45 minutes of running after the rescheduled rookie orientation time today, but this was repeatedly interrupted by yellows for light drizzle on track – and then finally halted 24 minutes earlier than planned as the rain became more concerted.
In between the stoppages, the 33 drivers who took to the speedway managed to complete nearly 1,000 laps of running in total.
Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti's early times for Ganassi kept them at the top of the standings for most of the session, but as the evening approached it was Castroneves who found more speed again, producing a lap of 39.6395sec (227.046mph) to end the weekend fastest. Will Power was fourth in the next of the Penske entries, while Tony Kanaan kept Andretti Autosport in contention with fifth.
Mario Moraes showed KV's raw speed on ovals by taking sixth, ahead of Dan Wheldon. The Panther driver had the unhappy distinction of causing the first crash of the 2010 Indy 500 month when his Dallara snapped into a spin at Turn 4 and came close to collecting Dixon on its way to the wall. Wheldon escaped with only a bruised foot.
The only other incident of the day was a spin at the pit exit for Ryan Hunter-Reay, whose Andretti Autosport car did not hit anything.
Ryan Briscoe was eighth in the third Penske Dallara-Honda, followed by Marco Andretti (Andretti) and a star performance from Graham Rahal, who announced Rahal Letterman Racing's IndyCar return with 10th on the time sheets.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Helio Castroneves Penske 39.6395s
2. Scott Dixon Ganassi 39.7875s + 0.1480s
3. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 39.8152s + 0.1757s
4. Will Power Penske 39.8937s + 0.2542s
5. Tony Kanaan Andretti 39.9070s + 0.2675s
6. Mario Moraes KV 39.9924s + 0.3529s
7. Dan Wheldon Panther 40.0742s + 0.4347s
8. Ryan Briscoe Penske 40.0786s + 0.4391s
9. Marco Andretti Andretti 40.0910s + 0.4515s
10. Graham Rahal Rahal Letterman 40.1212s + 0.4817s
11. Vitor Meira Foyt 40.1553s + 0.5158s
12. Townsend Bell Ganassi/Schmidt 40.2735s + 0.6340s
13. Danica Patrick Andretti 40.2898s + 0.6503s
14. AJ Foyt IV Foyt 40.4010s + 0.7615s
15. Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas 40.4127s + 0.7732s
16. Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold 40.4486s + 0.8091s
17. EJ Viso KV 40.4899s + 0.8504s
18. Raphael Matos de Ferran Dragon 40.5056s + 0.8661s
19. Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher 40.5126s + 0.8731s
20. John Andretti Andretti 40.5167s + 0.8772s
21. Paul Tracy KV 40.5654s + 0.9259s
22. Ana Beatriz Dreyer & Reinbold 40.5945s + 0.9550s
23. Ed Carpenter Panther/Vision 40.6256s + 0.9861s
24. Alex Tagliani Fazzt 40.6353s + 0.9958s
25. Tomas Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold 40.7135s + 1.0740s
26. Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne 40.7204s + 1.0809s
27. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti 40.7285s + 1.0890s
28. Mario Romancini Conquest 40.8544s + 1.2149s
29. Takuma Sato KV 40.8973s + 1.2578s
30. Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold 40.9380s + 1.2985s
31. Bertrand Baguette Conquest 40.9631s + 1.3236s
32. Milka Duno Dale Coyne 41.0469s + 1.4074s
33. Sebastian Saavedra Herta 41.1116s + 1.4721s