On a day cut short 45 minutes because of showers, Ed Carpenter was quickest of the 32 entrants to take to the track on opening day for the centennial Indianapolis 500, with a lap of 224.786 mph (40.038 seconds). Scott Dixon, the 2008 race winner and IZOD IndyCar Series champion, was second in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car and JR Hildebrand, who was quickest in breezing through the Rookie Orientation Program on May 12, was third (224.433mph).
The six-hour session was interrupted by rain showers, and was for many teams little more than a shakedown. But Carpenter covered 32 laps, with a best time of 40.0380s at a speed of 224.786mph.
Fisher, who has stepped away from driving this season to concentrate on running the team and the birth later this year of her first child, was delighted with Carpenter's pace in what had previously been her car.
"That wasn't supposed to happen yet," said Fisher of Carpenter's time. "You're supposed to slowly build up and do that. I've had a lot of questions about whether it was going to be hard watching the 67 car go around without me in it. Honestly, it makes a difference with the individual you have representing you and doing the job for you. Ed's a perfect fit for us and really showed that today. We're really proud of the boys and the job they did together."
Dario Franchitti (Ganassi) and Marco Andretti (Andretti) rounded out the top five, with Ryan Briscoe the top Penske driver in sixth.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Ed Carpenter Sarah Fisher 40.0380s
2. Scott Dixon Ganassi 40.0907s + 0.0527s
3. JR Hildebrand Panther 40.1011s + 0.0631s
4. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 40.1594s + 0.1214s
5. Marco Andretti Andretti 40.1916s + 0.1536s
6. Ryan Briscoe Penske 40.2125s + 0.1745s
7. Vitor Meira Foyt 40.3240s + 0.2860s
8. Graham Rahal Ganassi 40.4015s + 0.3635s
9. Helio Castroneves Penske 40.4031s + 0.3651s
10. Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold 40.4749s + 0.4369s
11. Paul Tracy Dreyer & Reinbold 40.4868s + 0.4488s
12. Danica Patrick Andretti 40.4982s + 0.4602s
13. John Andretti Petty/Andretti 40.5338s + 0.4958s
14. Oriol Servia Newman/Haas 40.5489s + 0.5109s
15. Will Power Penske 40.5704s + 0.5324s
16. Buddy Rice Panther 40.6393s + 0.6013s
17. James Hinchcliffe Newman/Haas 40.6405s + 0.6025s
18. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti 40.6696s + 0.6316s
19. Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne 40.6916s + 0.6536s
20. Takuma Sato KV 40.7455s + 0.7075s
21. Pippa Mann Conquest 40.7717s + 0.7337s
22. Bertrand Baguette Rahal Letterman Lanigan 40.7981s + 0.7601s
23. Ana Beatriz Dreyer & Reinbold 40.8095s + 0.7715s
24. EJ Viso KV 40.8110s + 0.7730s
25. Tony Kanaan KV 40.8373s + 0.7993s
26. Bruno Junqueira Foyt 40.8680s + 0.8300s
27. Tomas Schecketer KV/SH 40.8765s + 0.8385s
28. Mike Conway Andretti 40.8794s + 0.8414s
29. Jay Howard Schmidt/Rahal 40.9280s + 0.8900s
30. Simona de Silvestro HVM 40.9982s + 0.9602s
31. Sebastian Saavedra Conquest 41.4477s + 1.4097s
32. James Jakes Dale Coyne 41.4569s + 1.4189s