Montreal officials are close to a deal to get the Canadian Grand Prix back on the calendar next year, the city's mayor said on Thursday. Gerald Tremblay told a press conference in Montreal that only a few final hurdles were needed to secure a slot for the 2010 race.
"There are still certain commitments which have been made that have to be refined," he was quoted as saying by the Canadian Press agency. "Right now, we're trying to finalize this agreement in the best interests of Montreal."
No date had been set for the event, but it is likely it would keep the traditional June slot that it had held until it fell off the calendar this year. "We want Montreal to regain its status as one of the largest grand prix (races) in the world," Tremblay stated.
The deal to put the race back on had been helped by support from the Quebec and Ottawa governments, who would share the costs – or any profit – with Montreal.
The absence of the Canadian GP on the calendar this year meant that it was the first time in F1's World Championship history that there had not been a race in North America.