James Calado scored his first race win of the 2013 GP2 Series at Spa-Francorchamps on Sunday. The ART driver held off Racing Engineering's Julian Leal by just 0.4 second.
Calado, who had a fresh set of prime tyres available for this race by dint of starting on the soft on Saturday, streaked into an early lead from pole position. By lap five, he was three seconds clear and looked to be cruising to victory. But Leal began to make inroads into his advantage, and by lap 12 the gap was under a second.
In the closing stages, Calado had to keep a wary eye on Leal, who was never quite close enough to make a passing move but would have pounced if Calado made a mistake.
Adrian Quaife-Hobbs also joined the lead battle in the closing stages, but asked a little too much of his tires with a few laps to go and could not quite get on terms with Leal.
Stephane Richelmi was a very distant fourth, ahead of Fabio Leimer and Jolyon Palmer.
Johnny Cecotto Jr. took seventh from Tom Dillmann with a couple of laps remaining, while Dani Clos should have been in the mix for points, but was given his second drive-through penalty of the weekend for a collision.
Results - 18 laps:
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. James Calado ART 36m21.388s
2. Julian Leal Racing Engineering +0.447s
3. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs Hilmer +1.532s
4. Stephane Richelmi DAMS +17.905s
5. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering +29.053s
6. Jolyon Palmer Carlin +33.284s
7. Johnny Cecotto Jr MW Arden +37.321s
8. Tom Dillmann Russian Time +40.052s
9. Felipe Nasr Carlin +40.455s
10. Mitch Evans MW Arden +43.421s
11. Simon Trummer Rapax +44.373s
12. Sergio Canamasas Caterham +45.170s
13. Nathanael Berthon Trident +45.987s
14. Sam Bird Russian Time +47.459s
15. Marcus Ericsson DAMS +50.141s
16. Daniel Abt ART +50.726s
17. Daniel de Jong MP +50.818s
18. Vittorio Ghirelli Lazarus +53.466s
19. Dani Clos MP +54.532s
20. Rene Binder Lazarus +59.796s
21. Jake Rosenzweig Addax +1m03.052s
22. Alexander Rossi Caterham +1m18.035s
23. Stefano Coletti Rapax +1m21.639s
24. Ricardo Teixeira Trident +1m27.956s
25. Rio Haryanto Addax +1 lap
Robin Frijns Hilmer 1 lap