Anderlecht's Yelmer Buurman won the 100,000-Euro Superleague Formula super final at Jarama, as the top six scorers of the weekend were given a five-lap dash for cash.
The race was decided in the opening few seconds. Poleman Craig Dolby (Tottenham) lurched forward on the red light and stalled, so the race for the lead to the first corner was between Sebastien Bourdais (Sevilla) and Tristan Gommendy (Porto) – or so it seemed. Gommendy locked up and went off, Bourdais had also outbraked himself and only just scrabbled around, leaving the way clear for Buurman to sneak through and blast away.
Bourdais held on to second, while series champion Adrian Valles (Liverpool) held off the early challenge of race two winner Ho-Pin Tung of Galatasaray for third. Gommendy was fifth, ahead of the distant Dolby, who finally got going 30 seconds after everyone else.
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Yelmer Buurman Anderlecht 6m50.779s
2. Sebastien Bourdais Sevilla FC + 1.393s
3. Adrian Valles Liverpool + 4.353s
4. Ho-Pin Tung Galatasaray + 8.770s
5. Tristan Gommendy FC Porto + 10.288s
6. Craig Dolby Tottenham Hotspur + 28.487s