World Champion Jenson Button says it is sad to see Toyota leaving Formula 1, after the Japanese company announced it was pulling out following the 2009 season.
"It's sad," Button said during the Race of Champions on Wednesday. "I thought they would continue, but they haven't been able to, which is a pity for Formula 1, and obviously a pity for Toyota. A little bit sad and hopefully, we can survive without them. Two manufacturers leaving this year.
"A couple of new teams are arriving, but they won't be competitive straight off, so it's sad, but they obviously have their reasons, as Honda did," added the Briton, whose future in Formula 1 looked uncertain at the end of last year after Honda decided to quit the sport.
The Brawn driver, who clinched his first title this year, said he is still in talks with the team to sort out his future, but no deal has yet been reached. Button denied, however, he was tired of waiting for the deal and said he was confident an agreement will be reached.
"I said that after the race I'd discuss next year and I will be, but I can't say anything else," he added. "I'm not fed up at all. It just takes time, but it will be sorted."