Mat Jackson carried his practice form through to qualifying as he took his first British Touring Car Championship pole position of the year at Silverstone.
The RML Chevrolet driver lapped the circuit in 1m00.259s in the opening minutes of the session, setting a new qualifying record in the process and out-pacing the rest of the field by over two tenths of a second.
Motorbase BMW driver Rob Collard improved by over a second from his morning pace to put himself a superb second on the grid. In doing so, he gained the team's best ever BTCC qualifying position.
James Nash was another to perform brilliantly, the BTCC rookie taking a career-best third on the grid - ahead of the similar car of Jason Plato.
Championship leader Colin Turkington managed fifth, the WSR BMW driver crucially out-qualifying the Vauxhall of his title rival Fabrizio Giovanardi by three places. Between them were the BMWs of Stephen Jelley (WSR) and Jonathan Adam (Motorbase).
Tom Chilton continued to show the progress the Arena Ford Focus has made since the mid-season break by qualifying a season's best ninth, while WSR's Anthony Reid, making his return to the BTCC after a five-year break, completed the top 10.
The Vauxhall's of Matt Neal and Andrew Jordan were only 11th and 16th, while Johnny Herbert was a disappointing 17th quickest.
The three-time grand prix winner's session ended early as he pulled off at Becketts halfway through the session with a steering problem. The red flags were brought out for 10 minutes while his car was recovered.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Mat Jackson Chevrolet 1m00.259s
2. Rob Collard BMW 1m00.492s + 0.233
3. James Nash Chevrolet 1m00.520s + 0.261
4. Jason Plato Chevrolet 1m00.558s + 0.299
5. Colin Turkington BMW 1m00.697s + 0.438
6. Stephen Jelley BMW 1m00.732s + 0.473
7. Jonathan Adam BMW 1m00.768s + 0.509
8. F.Giovanardi Vauxhall 1m00.869s + 0.610
9. Tom Chilton Ford 1m00.969s + 0.710
10. Anthony Reid BMW 1m01.020s + 0.761
11. Matt Neal Vauxhall 1m01.060s + 0.801
12. Harry Vaulkhard Chevrolet 1m01.092s + 0.833
13. Tom Onslow- Ford 1m01.167s + 0.908
14. Paul O'Neill Honda 1m01.274s + 1.015
15. David Pinkney Honda 1m01.352s + 1.093
16. Andrew Jordan Vauxhall 1m01.431s + 1.172
17. Johnny Herbert Honda 1m01.458s + 1.199
18. Martyn Bell Honda 1m02.185s + 1.926
19. Martin Johnson Vauxhall 1m02.221s + 1.962
20. John George Honda 1m02.272s + 2.013