Ryan Briscoe claimed his second pole position of 2010 in qualifying for the IndyCar Series' Texas night race.
The Penske driver's speed of 215.273mph held on despite strong challenges from Ganassi's Dario Franchitti and points leader Will Power (Penske), who completed the top three.
The first five positions were locked out by the Ganassi/Penske quintet, with Scott Dixon and Helio Castroneves fourth and fifth, but best of the rest in a superb sixth was Alex Lloyd, who showed that his Dale Coyne Racing team's Indianapolis form was no fluke. While his teammate Milka Duno could not emulate her top six from practice, she took a respectable 17th.
Hideki Mutoh also ran well to take seventh for Newman/Haas, ahead of top Andretti Autosport qualifier Danica Patrick.
Mario Moraes led KV Racing's charge in ninth, while Takuma Sato will start 11th behind Marco Andretti (Andretti) for his Texas debut. Tony Kanaan was only 13th for Andretti, with Ryan Hunter-Reay again struggling for qualifying speed and languishing in 24th.
Pos Driver Team Speed
1. Ryan Briscoe Penske 215.273mph
2. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 215.261mph
3. Will Power Penske 215.158mph
4. Scott Dixon Ganassi 215.152mph
5. Helio Castroneves Penske 214.411mph
6. Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne 214.408mph
7. Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas 214.380mph
8. Danica Patrick Andretti 214.098mph
9. Mario Moraes KV 213.800mph
10. Marco Andretti Andretti 213.785mph
11. Takuma Sato KV 213.692mph
12. Justin Wilson Dreyer & Reinbold 213.602mph
13. Tony Kanaan Andretti 213.346mph
14. EJ Viso KV 213.336mph
15. Dan Wheldon Panther 213.316mph
16. Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher 213.256mph
17. Milka Duno Dale Coyne 213.222mph
18. Tomas Scheckter Dreyer & Reinbold 212.904mph
19. Vitor Meira Foyt 212.805mph
20. Alex Tagliani FAZZT 212.526mph
21. Jay Howard Sarah Fisher 212.448mph
22. Bertrand Baguette Conquest 212.349mph
23. Raphael Matos De Ferran Dragon 212.327mph
24. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti 212.298mph
25. Mario Romancini Conquest 212.101mph
26. Simona de Silvestro HVM 211.289mph