Trading Post Racing's Jason Bright topped the times in Friday's qualifying ahead of tomorrow's top-10 shootout for Sunday's Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.
Craig Lowndes moved to the top of the times halfway through the 40-minute session, bumping his teammate Jamie Whincup off the top spot to do so. But with five minutes remaining, Bright moved into top spot with a time of 2m07.0002sec.
Lowndes tried to topple him in the closing minutes of the session, and only just missed out on doing so, ending the session 0.0067sec slower than Bright. Whincup remained third with the lap he set just seven minutes into the session.
Fourth and fifth fastest were FPR's Mark Winterbottom and Fujitsu Racing's Lee Holdsworth, separated by less than two hundredths of a second. Sixth and seventh were also separated by similar margins, championship leader James Courtney just ahead of Will Davison, with Davison's teammate Garth Tander close behind.
Greg Murphy and Paul Dumbrell complete the top-10 field for the shootout, just keeping Steven Johnson, Rick Kelly, Shane van Gisbergen and Steven Richards at bay.
Todd Kelly's hopes of a good position disappeared early in the session when he hit the wall at the fast sweeping Turn 2, before clouting the wall again at Sulman Park as a result of the earlier damage, qualifying 27th.
However, the Team BOC car of Jason Richards didn't even take part in qualifying, after clipping the inside wall at Forrest's Elbow earlier in the day in practice, sending it head on into the barrier, before being collected by Whincup, the car too badly damaged by the contact with the barriers.
Pos Drivers Make Time
1. Bright/Halliday Holden Commodore VE 2m07.0002s
2. Lowndes/Skaife Holden Commodore VE 2m07.0069s + 0.0067s
3. Whincup/Owen Holden Commodore VE 2m07.3663s + 0.3661s
4. Winterbottom/Youlden Ford Falcon FG 2m07.4526s + 0.4524s
5. Holdsworth/Besnard Holden Commodore VE 2m07.4687s + 0.4685s
6. Courtney/Luff Ford Falcon FG 2m07.7278s + 0.7276s
7. W Davison/Reynolds Holden Commodore VE 2m07.7375s + 0.7373s
8. Tander/McConville Holden Commodore VE 2m07.7899s + 0.7897s
9. Murphy/Simonsen Holden Commodore VE 2m07.8646s + 0.8644s
10. Dumbrell/Canto Ford Falcon FG 2m07.8717s + 0.8715s
11. Johnson/Marshall Ford Falcon FG 2m07.9635s + 0.9633s
12. R Kelly/O Kelly Holden Commodore VE 2m08.0556s + 1.0554s
13. Van Gisbergen/McIntyre Ford Falcon FG 2m08.0656s + 1.0654s
14. S Richards/Moffat Ford Falcon FG 2m08.1161s + 1.1159s
15. Caruso/Ritter Holden Commodore VE 2m08.2907s + 1.2905s
16. Ingall/Morris Holden Commodore VE 2m08.3541s + 1.3539s
17. Webb/Russell Ford Falcon FG 2m08.3753s + 1.3751s
18. A Davison/Brabham Ford Falcon FG 2m08.4052s + 1.4050s
19. Bargwanna/Seton Holden Commodore VE 2m08.4550s + 1.4548s
20. D'Alberto/Price Holden Commodore VE 2m08.5508s + 1.5506s
21. Coulthard/Baird Holden Commodore VE 2m08.6359s + 1.6357s
22. Reindler/Wall Holden Commodore VE 2m08.8156s + 1.8154s
23. Fiore/Patrizi Ford Falcon FG 2m08.8886s + 1.8884s
24. Thompson/Briscoe Holden Commodore VE 2m09.0272s + 2.0270s
25. Slade/Perkins Ford Falcon FG 2m09.0784s + 2.0782s
26. Pretty/Noske Holden Commodore VE 2m09.1773s + 2.1771s
27. T Kelly/Wood Holden Commodore VE 2m09.3223s + 2.3221s
28. Ricciardello/Douglas Holden Commodore VE 2m10.4957s + 3.4955s
29. Emery/Zukanovic Holden Commodore VE 2m11.5023s + 4.5021s
Assaillit/Pedersen Ford Falcon BF
Did not take part in the session:
J Richards/A Jones Holden Commodore VE