Flavio Briatore will wait on making a decision about whether he will return to Formula 1, despite overturning his ban from the sport.
Briatore successfully won a court case against the FIA regarding the indefinite ban from motor racing he was handed down for his involvement in F1's race-fix scandal. But despite the success, which means he can effectively return to employment in F1, Briatore says he will not rush into making a decision about his future plans.
"Let me take a little time to enjoy this moment of happiness after this difficult period," the former Renault boss said late Tuesday. "As concerns my possible return to F1, there is plenty of time to talk about this. I would like, first of all, to thank the people who remained faithful to me during these difficult moments and who showed me their trust and friendship."
Briatore welcomed the decision of the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris to rule in his favor against the decision made by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council in September.
"I would like to express my great joy with the decision handed down by the Paris Tribunal de Grande Instance (Regional Court)," he explained. "I believe it important for the FIA to play the active role it deserves in automobile competition. As a sports person and one passionately involved in car racing for more than 20 years, the decision to apply to the civil courts to contest a decision of the FIA was a difficult one for me to make.
"The fact that the World Automobile Sport Council had been utilized to deal with a personal agenda aimed at pushing me out of the world of competition left me no other choice. The decision handed down today restores to me the dignity and freedom that certain people had arbitrarily attempted to deprive me of."
He added: "The Court recognized that all the criticisms I had formulated against the decision of the World Council were founded, by finding that the FIA had:
• rendered a decision that it was not competent to pronounce
• infringed its own articles of association
• totally failed to respect my right to a fair defense
• finally, entrusted the tasks of investigation, prosecution and judgment to a principle player known by all to be hostile to me. I believe that justice has been done today."
The FIA is considering appealing against the decision of the French court, which also lifted the multi-year ban handed down on Pat Symonds.