Renault has not given up hope that Robert Kubica will be fit enough to race for the team later this season, despite suggestions earlier this week that senior figures felt "sure" he would not be able to compete in 2011.
Team owner Gerard Lopez told Spanish radio station Onda Cero after last week's Barcelona event that he believed the most likely scenario for the injured Pole was for him to do a Friday session only.
"We'll probably get him to test on a Friday at some point during the year, but I'm sure his return is not possible this year," Lopez said.
However, team principal Eric Boullier said that no final decision had been taken yet about the plans for Kubica - and he expected the situation to remain open for a few months yet. Asked if he shared Lopez's understanding that Kubica would not race this year, Boullier said: "It is not my understanding that that was the original wording of Gerard. A lot of this wording has been translated, and maybe some of it out of context.
"I saw Robert two weeks ago and I can guarantee you that he is doing everything he can. He is pushing very hard – and you cannot do better. His recovery is going well.
"He needs some steps to go through which take some time, like the recovery of the nerves, and this is a learning process from the body that you cannot accelerate – you need to wait. But I am pretty sure that Robert will be able to come back. If he does come back it will be his decision because he is very keen on being ready before he thinks of stepping back, and we should know by the summer."