BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen expressed delight at the FIA's decision to grant Sauber the final slot on the Formula 1 grid, which he says means that the team can finally look forward to the future with optimism.
Sauber's place in F1 had been in doubt ever since BMW announced that it was pulling out of the sport at the end of this year. Matters were not helped by the collapse of a proposed takeover bid from investment company Qadbak, and the fact that Toyota's quitting of F1 did not automatically get Sauber in. However, in the wake of Peter Sauber buying back the team, the FIA announced on Thursday that the Hinwil-based team's application to enter F1 had been accepted.
Theissen, who is stepping down from his responsibilities with the team, said he was happy that he was leaving the outfit in good shape.
"We are delighted that the FIA has granted our team the 13th place on the grid," said Theissen. "It brings to a close a difficult period of uncertainty for us.
"The team can now turn its full attention to preparing for the forthcoming season. We have no doubt that Peter Sauber and his team will justify their nomination through good performance, and we wish them all every success in the future."