Sam Bird topped the opening Formula Renault 3.5 free practice session at the brand-new Moscow Raceway on Friday morning.
With building work still going on around the site of the track, the FR3.5 field took to the circuit for its first 90-minute session, extended from the usual 75 minutes because the venue is new to everyone.
America's Alexander Rossi and Marco Sorensen led the running for much of the first hour, but Bird moved to the top of the times with around 20 minutes remaining and stayed there until the end.
Sorensen was bumped down another place by Nico Muller 10 minutes later, but the Dane responded with a couple of improved laps in the final few minutes to finish as best of the rest behind the championship leader. Muller ended the session third, while Arthur Pic was fourth after some late position swapping with Andre Negrao.
Negrao lost fifth to Robin Frijns in the final minute, and the Brazilian then brought out a red flag just a few seconds later as he coasted to a stop on the start/finish line.
The honor of top Russian in the first session at the track went to former champion Mikhail Aleshin, who was ninth quickest.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Sam Bird ISR 1m25.910s
2. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m26.117s + 0.207s
3. Nico Muller Draco 1m26.261s + 0.351s
4. Arthur Pic DAMS 1m26.645s + 0.735s
5. Robin Frijns Fortec 1m26.724s + 0.814s
6. Andre Negrao Draco 1m26.838s + 0.928s
7. Kevin Magnussen Carlin 1m27.123s + 1.213s
8. Cesar Ramos Lotus 1m27.124s + 1.214s
9. Mikhail Aleshin RFR 1m27.307s + 1.397s
10. Carlos Huertas Fortec 1m27.346s + 1.436s
11. Alexander Rossi Arden Caterham 1m27.370s + 1.460s
12. Nick Yelloly Comtec 1m27.496s + 1.586s
13. Antonto Felix da Costa Arden Caterham 1m27.545s + 1.635s
14. Jake Rosenzweig ISR 1m27.606s + 1.696s
15. Walter Grubmuller P1 1m27.678s + 1.768s
16. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 1m27.685s + 1.775s
17. Lucas Foresti DAMS 1m27.749s + 1.839s
18. Yann Cunha Pons 1m27.992s + 2.082s
19. Kevin Korjus Tech 1 1m28.050s + 2.140s
20. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec 1m28.074s + 2.164s
21. Will Stevens Carlin 1m28.350s + 2.440s
22. Anton Nebylitskiy RFR 1m28.541s + 2.631s
23. Sergey Sirotkin BVM Traget 1m28.611s + 2.701s
24. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m28.723s + 2.813s
25. Daniil Move P1 1m28.806s + 2.896s
26. Nikolay Martsenko BVM Target 1m28.927s + 3.017s