Jules Bianchi topped the second Formula Renault 3.5 free practice session at Silverstone on Friday.
The Ferrari junior driver, who led the way for much of the morning session before getting pushed back to second by Antonio Felix da Costa, moved to the head of the times inside the final 10 minutes this time around.
That ended a relatively long spell at the top for Kevin Magnussen, who had briefly led a Carlin 1-2 with teammate Will Stevens when there was around 15 of the 60 minutes remaining.
Stevens had to make do with eighth as several drivers improved in the final quarter of an hour, and morning pacesetter da Costa nearly repeated his trick by jumping up the order in the final couple of minutes. However, this time he could only go third, leaving Bianchi and Magnussen in the top two places.
Marco Sorensen was just ahead of title contender Sam Bird as they took fourth and fifth, while da Costa's team-mate Alexander Rossi made sure both Arden Caterham drivers were in the top six.
Just behind Rossi was championship leader Robin Frijns, who completed a solid day of work in a brand new chassis after his original car was destroyed in a crash during a straightline test earlier this week.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 1m41.241s
2. Kevin Magnussen Carlin 1m41.297s + 0.056s
3. Antonto Felix da Costa Arden Caterham 1m41.318s + 0.077s
4. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m41.321s + 0.080s
5. Sam Bird ISR 1m41.404s + 0.163s
6. Alexander Rossi Arden Caterham 1m41.541s + 0.300s
7. Robin Frijns Fortec 1m41.551s + 0.310s
8. Will Stevens Carlin 1m41.581s + 0.340s
9. Arthur Pic DAMS 1m41.643s + 0.402s
10. Nick Yelloly Comtec 1m42.040s + 0.799s
11. Nigel Melker Lotus 1m42.122s + 0.881s
12. Nico Muller Draco 1m42.267s + 1.026s
13. Carlos Huertas Fortec 1m42.585s + 1.344s
14. Walter Grubmuller P1 1m42.601s + 1.360s
15. Mikhail Aleshin RFR 1m42.625s + 1.384s
16. Andre Negrao Draco 1m42.832s + 1.591s
17. Jake Rosenzweig ISR 1m42.840s + 1.599s
18. Yann Cunha Pons 1m42.944s + 1.703s
19. Daniil Move P1 1m42.945s + 1.704s
20. Kevin Korjus Tech 1 1m43.225s + 1.984s
21. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec 1m43.265s + 2.024s
22. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m43.334s + 2.093s
23. Lucas Foresti DAMS 1m43.556s + 2.315s
24. Nikolay Martsenko BVM Target 1m43.583s + 2.342s
25. Anton Nebylitskiy RFR 1m43.606s + 2.365s
26. Daniel Zampieri BVM Traget 1m45.568s + 4.327s