Alvaro Bautista has been ruled out of the rest of the French Grand Prix weekend after his morning practice crash exacerbated his collarbone injury.
The Suzuki rider's participation had already been in doubt as pain from his collarbone and shoulder, damaged in a Motocross accident earlier this month, left him struggling on Friday.
He had not used painkillers yesterday and planned to assess his condition this morning after trying medication, but crashed heavily on his third lap of the session, suffering a high-side that ended with him landing on the asphalt arms-first. Bautista missed the rest of the session and decided to withdraw from the race.
"He was treated by Dr [Claudio] Costa's staff straight after the session and after careful consideration and discussions with the team, took the decision to abandon any further attempts to race this weekend," said a Suzuki statement.
Although Suzuki test rider Nobuatsu Aoki had been brought to the track in case Bautista failed his pre-event fitness assessment on Thursday, the team has decided not to run a substitute rider and will field only Loris Capirossi.
Suzuki is optimistic that Bautista will be fit to return at Mugello in two weeks.
"Bautista will return to Spain for further treatment - as well as rest and recuperation – to make sure he is 100 percent fit for the next round of the season at Mugello in Italy in two weeks' time," said the statement.