Sprint Gas Racing's Jason Bargwanna has taken a surprise pole position for race three of the Nikon SuperGP at Surfers Paradise.
Bargwanna led the times early in the session but it was his lap in the final two minutes that put him on top for the second pole of his V8 Supercar career, where he stayed, in a session that ended with the top six drivers separated by just 0.15 of a second.
Team Vodafone's Craig Lowndes got the closest to Bargwanna, edging out Rick Kelly for second fastest, with championship contenders Jamie Whincup and Will Davison next fastest in fourth and fifth, Davison having slammed into the tyres around the back of the circuit halfway through the session., with Mark Winterbottom just behind him in sixth.
Supercheap's Russell Ingall ended up seventh, with Shane van Gisbergen, Michael Caruso and Greg Murphy split by just 0.0137 of a second as they completed the top ten on the grid.
Outside the top ten in 12th place was HRT's Garth Tander, with James Courtney and Steven Richards just behind him in 13th and 14th on the grid. It was another disappointing qualifying for Fabian Coulthard, who only managed 17th fastest, just ahead of Lee Holdsworth.
After a great result in the first qualifying session which saw him start fourth, Jason Bright couldn't repeat it in today's session and will start in 20th place.
Another driver well down the order is Todd Kelly in 28th, who hit the tyre barrier in the second chicane, and will start at the opposite end of the grid to his younger brother and team-mate.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1:49.9887
2. Craig Lowndes Ford Falcon FG 1:50.0496 + 0.0609
3. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1:50.0895 + 0.1008
4. Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon FG 1:50.0989 + 0.1102
5. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1:50.1172 + 0.1285
6. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1:50.1410 + 0.1523
7. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1:50.2410 + 0.2523
8. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1:50.3107 + 0.3220
9. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1:50.3158 + 0.3271
10. Greg Murphy Holden Commodore VE 1:50.3244 + 0.3357
11. Paul Dumbrell Holden Commodore VE 1:50.3664 + 0.3777
12. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1:50.3902 + 0.4015
13. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1:50.4927 + 0.5040
14. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 1:50.6491 + 0.6604
15. Cameron McConville Holden Commodore VE 1:50.6617 + 0.6730
16. David Reynolds Holden Commodore VE 1:50.7091 + 0.7204
17. Fabian Coulthard Ford Falcon FG 1:50.7187 + 0.7300
18. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1:50.7619 + 0.7732
19. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1:50.7777 + 0.7890
20. Jason Bright Ford Falcon FG 1:50.8041 + 0.8154
21. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1:50.8562 + 0.8675
22. Tim Slade Holden Commodore VE 1:51.0198 + 1.0311
23. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1:51.0580 + 1.0693
24. Jack Perkins Holden Commodore VE 1:51.0955 + 1.1068
25. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1:51.3047 + 1.3160
26. Michael Patrizi Ford Falcon BF 1:51.3635 + 1.3748
27. Dean Fiore Holden Commodore VE 1:51.9868 + 1.9981
28. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1:52.1953 + 2.2066
29. Mark McNally Holden Commodore VE 1:53.5599 + 3.5712