Formula 1 commercial rights boss Bernie Ecclestone is open to the idea of making the Bahrain Grand Prix the season opener again, as race organizers wish.
Bahrain's track boss Zayed Alzayani said he would like for the event to become the first race again, as it was in 2006 and '10, and Ecclestone, while non-committal, seemed positive about it.
"We could do, I suppose, couldn't we?" Ecclestone said, speaking to reporters at the Bahrain GP on Friday. "We changed [in moving Melbourne back to the first race] because Australia had been around a long time and wanted to maintain it. We would need to have a look at it."
Alzayani has told reporters that he would like Bahrain to host both a pre-season test and the opening event, if possible starting next year.
"It's a good start to the season – it gives us the chance to have the teams here longer, there is more anticipation, more unknowns, how the cars will react to the new tires, the regulations, the drivers are just back into their rhythm," he explained. "But the decision is not entirely ours. We are talking about 2014 onward but it's a bit early to talk about the calendar for 2014. We're open to suggestion."
Ecclestone also made it clear that he believed the Brazilian Grand Prix would remain in Sao Paulo for the foreseeable future, amid doubts about Interlagos getting a new contract unless it improved its facilities. Ecclestone revealed he had now received assurances from the Sao Paulo mayor about the plans.
"I've just received a letter from him," explained Ecclestone. "He has now guaranteed that he will revamp the whole facilities there, which is good.
"We've been waiting long enough. If Sao Paulo do what they say they are going to do, we don't need to move."