Persistent "weepers," welling up through the track surface at Kentucky Speedway that were caused in part by more than six inches of rain over the weekend and overnight May 4, have forced cancellation of the IZOD IndyCar Series test the 1.5-mile oval. A total of 14 drivers had been set to take part in the test, to get a jump on the five remaining 1.5-mile ovals on the schedule – including Kentucky on Sept. 4.
"It's a difficult decision to cancel the test," Indy Racing League president of competition and racing operations Brian Barnhart said. "You have a beautiful day and it's a shame we can't be on track. It's not worth the risk right now. There's no upside to it at all. The (track) conditions aren't what they need to be to go out and run the racecars and learn what the teams here need to learn."
Seven Firestone Indy Lights rookies were on the track Monday for an oval orientation/test, but that session was delayed more than five hours because of track conditions.
"It's disappointing to not be able to drive the Verizon Team Penske car, but if you can't run safely it's not worth running," Will Power said. "I don't think the running we would have done here would have translated to Indy, but it would have been more experience for me and it would have been good to get some oval testing in."
Added Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Dario Franchitti: "It is disappointing, but you have to think safety first. The track is wet in a lot of places and you can't run the normal line, so you're not going to learn much. Hopefully (the league) will give us an alternative, either some tires to get private testing some place or another chance to come back here before the race."