Audi's head of motorsport Wolfgang Ullrich has recommended that the rules regarding team orders in the DTM are made clearer following the controversy at Zandvoort two weeks ago.
Ullrich's squad was found guilty of using team orders in the Dutch race following an investigation by the German motorsport authority, and it was announced on Friday at Oschersleben that Mattias Ekstrom had been docked a place in the results as a punishment.
Audi has decided not to appeal the decision, despite believing that it did nothing wrong, and Ullrich believes that a clarification of the rules regarding team orders would prevent any more disputes over the matter.
"We continue to be of the opinion that we did not violate the wording of the regulations," said Ullrich. "For the future, Audi recommends that [the] 'team order' passage in the regulations be worded more precisely so that there will be an exact definition of where the line is drawn between team orders and strategies."
Ullrich added that the decision not to appeal was taken to prevent the situation being dragged on any longer – which could have a negative affect on the series' image.
"It would not be in the best interest of the DTM and motorsport if the discussions were to extend over several weeks and the results of Zandvoort continued to be provisional," he said. "The fans would be the primary losers in that case. With this in mind, Audi has made a decision in deference to the sport, accepts the views of the DMSB and elects not to lodge an appeal."
Ekstrom's penalty leaves him tied for second in the championship with Bruno Spengler, four points adrift of championship leader Gary Paffett.