Reigning Le Mans 24 Hours champions Allan McNish, Tom Kristensen and Rinaldo Capello are leading the way for Audi after two hours of today's free practice session.
The No. 1 Audi R15 has set a best time so far of 3:30.708, just half a tenth quicker than the German manufacturer's No. 2 car of Mike Rockenfeller, Marco Werner and Lucas Luhr.
The closest of the Peugeots is less than half a second behind the lead Audi, with the #9 car of Alexander Wurz, David Brabham and Marc Gene lapping in 3:31.102.
The Pescarolo-run customer Peugeot 908 of Jean-Christophe Boullion, Simon Pagenaud and Benoit Treluyer is currently fourth overall after a spell at the top of the timesheet earlier in the session.
All three of the Lola Aston Martins have now posted times in the session, the quickest of which is the #008 car of Darren Turner, Anthony Davidson and Jos Verstappen at a 3:35.996.
The Team Essex Porsche RS Spyder is the quickest LMP2 car so far, while the No. 63 factory Corvette and the No. 77 Felbermayer Porsche lead the GT1 and GT2 times respectively.
A dry line had begun to emerge on the circuit after an hour's running, but steady rain has been falling over the pits and first part of the lap since around 19:30 local time, forcing everyone to switch to intermediate tires. The session will run until midnight local time.
Incidents so far include Jean de Pourtales crashing the #39 KSM Lola-Mazda into the wall at the Ford chicance, Alex Muller having a trip over the gravel at the Dunlop Curves in the Jetalliance Aston Martin and the Japanese Lamborghini Murcielago stopping on its out lap, seemingly with a mechanical problem.TIMES:
Pos Drivers Car Time
1. #1 McNish/Kristensen/Capello Audi R15 3:30.708
2. #2 Rockenfeller/Werner/Luhr Audi R15 3:30.762
3. #9 Wurz/Brabham/Gene Peugeot 908 3:31.102
4. #17 Boullion/Pagenaud/Treluyer Peugeot 908 3:33.028
5. #8 Sarrazin/Montagny/Bourdais Peugeot 908 3:33.426
6. #3 Bernhard/Dumas/Premat Audi R15 3:34.716
7. #16 Tinseau/Barbosa/Jouanny Pescarolo 3:35.868
8. #008 Turner/Davidson/Verstappen Lola Aston Martin 3:35.996
9. #007 Mucke/Enge/Charouz Lola Aston Martin 3:36.732
10. #7 Minassian/Lamy/Klien Peugeot 908 3:37.980
1. #31 Collard/Elgaard/Poulsen Porsche 3:46.426
2. #5 Ara/Kunimoto/Maassen Porsche 3:48.096
3. #40 Smith/Pla/Amaral Ginetta Zytek 3:56.200
1. #63 Magnussen/O'Connell/Garcia Corvette 3:57.876
2. #64 Gavin/Beretta/Fassler Corvette 3:59.586
3. #66 Muller/Lichtner-Hoyer/Gruber Aston Martin 4:06.606
1. #77 Lieb/Lietz/Henzler Porsche 4:08.304
2. #82 Salo/Melo/Kaffer Ferrari 4:10.980
3. #85 Coronel/Bleekemolen/Janis Spyker 4:13.196