Audi edged out Toyota to claim pole position for Sunday's sixth round of the World Endurance Championship at Fuji.
Andre Lotterer and Benoit Treluyer topped the times aboard the No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro with a four-lap average of 1m26.577s, which put them just under two tenths clear of Sebatien Buemi and Anthony Davidson in the best of the Toyota TS030 HYBRIDs.
Treluyer, who will be joined in the car by Marcel Fassler along with Lotterer for the race, said: "I had no idea I was fighting with the No. 7 car; I was just giving my best.
"On the out-lap, I was struggling with the rear, so I was surprised that Andre had done two such good laps. Then I understood that the car was really good and I realized I just needed to warm-up the rear tires a bit more."
Kazuki Nakajima and Nicolas Lapierre claimed third place in the the second of the two Toyotas with an average a further tenth behind their sister car. The second Audi, qualified by Allan McNish and Loic Duval, ended up nearly a second down on their teammates. McNish complained that he had been unable to "hook up the tires."
LMP2 honors went to the OAK Racing Morgan-Nissan driven by Bertrand Baguette and Martin Plowman, who were a tenth clear of the G-Drive/Delta-ADR ORECA-Nissan 03 shared by Mike Conway and John Martin.
Aston Martin Racing claimed both GTE classes: Frederic Makowiecki and Stefan Mucke took the Pro pole and Bruno Senna and Christoffer Nygaard the top spot in the Am division.
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time Cl Gap
1. P1 Lotterer/Treluyer/Fassler Audi 1m26.577s
2. P1 Davidson/Buemi/Sarrazin Toyota 1m26.755s +0.178s
3. P1 Wurz/Lapierre/Nakajima Toyota 1m26.860s +0.283s
4. P1 Kristensen/Duval/McNish Audi 1m27.425s +0.848s
5. P1 Belicchi/Beche Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m29.250s +2.673s
6. P2 Baguette/Gonzalez/Plowman OAK Morgan-Nissan 1m32.938s
7. P2 Rusinov/Martin/Conway Delta-ADR ORECA-Nissan 1m33.019s +0.081s
8. P2 Hiranaka/Ueda/Wirdheim Greaves Zytek-Nissan 1m33.073s +0.135s
9. P2 Pla/Heinemeier Hansson/Brundle OAK Morgan-Nissan 1m33.097s +0.159s
10. P2 Graves/Walker/Nakano Delta-ADR ORECA-Nissan 1m33.209s +0.271s
11. P2 Bradley/Koizumi/Matsuda KCMG Morgan-Nissan 1m33.512s +0.574s
12. P2 Perez Companc/Minassian/Kaffer Pecom ORECA-Nissan 1m33.525s +0.587s
13. P2 Weeda/Rossiter/Liuzzi Lotus 1m34.080s +1.142s
14. P2 Holzer/Kraihamer/Charouz Lotus 1m34.246s +1.308s
15. P2 Nicolet/Ihara OAK Morgan-Nissan 1m35.408s +2.470s
16. GTE P Turner/Mucke/Makowiecki Aston Martin 1m39.114s
17. GTE P Lamy/Stanaway Aston Martin 1m39.591s +0.477s
18. GTE P Bruni/Fisichella AF Ferrari 1m39.693s +0.579s
19. GTE P Bergmeister/Pilet Manthey Porsche 1m39.736s +0.622s
20. GTE P Lieb/Lietz Manthey Porsche 1m39.778s +0.664s
21. GTE A Nygaard/Poulsen/Senna Aston Martin 1m40.649s
22. GTE A Bornhauser/Canal/Rees Larbre Corvette 1m40.814s +0.165s
23. GTE A Hall/Campbell-Walter/Adam Aston Martin 1m40.824s +0.175s
24. GTE A Ried/Roda/Ruberti Proton Porsche 1m41.311s +0.662s
25. GTE A Potolicchio/Aguas/Rigon 8Star Ferrari 1m41.369s +0.720s
26. GTE A Gerber/Griffin/Cioci AF Ferrari 1m41.529s +0.880s
27. GTE A Krohn/Jonsson/Mediani Krohn Ferrari 1m41.625s +0.976s
28. GTE A Narac/Vernay/Palttala Imsa Porsche 1m41.683s +1.034s