The Asian Le Mans Series is on course to hit its target of 16 cars in time for its opening round in South Korea in August.
Series boss Mark Thomas has revealed that he has 12 confirmed entries for far and expects to firm up at least four more ahead of the delayed series opener at the new Autopia on Aug. 4.
"The Asian Le Mans Series for 2013 is ready to go," he said. "We have 12 confirmed entries and, from what I know right now, we will finish on 16 for the full season. We are happy with that. We will have one or two additional entries for some of the races, but 16 is a good number for our first year."
Included among the 12 entries is an OAK Racing Morgan-Nissan LMP2, for which the team has today announced the full driver lineup. Ex-Renault Formula 1 test driver Ho-Pin Tung, who was confirmed in the car earlier this year, will be joined by American Le Mans Series LMPC class driver David Cheng to form an all-Chinese driver lineup. KCMG, which is the first Chinese team to contest the Le Mans 24 Hours, is the only other confirmed LMP2 entry so far with its Morgan-Nissan.
Thomas said that he believed it was possible that there could be two more prototypes on the grid at Autopia, including one LMPC one-make ORECA-Chevrolet FLM09.
The GTC class for GT3 cars will provide the bulk of the grid. Entries so far include a solo AF Corse-run Ferrari, two Porsche 911 GT3-Rs from former Le Mans class winner Taisan Racing and one Aston Martin V12 Vantage fielded by Craft Racing.
The GT300 class of the Super GT Series will join the field at the Fuji round in September.
Total, which will sponsor the OAK Morgan, will be the official fuel supplier for a series that was cut from six to four rounds earlier this year.