Marco Andretti set the pace in the opening practice session for this weekend's IndyCar round in Long Beach.
A wet track from earlier rain prevented anyone from setting a representative time, but Andretti got the best of the emerging dry line to post a quickest lap of 1m17.2298s, some six seconds slower than the cars had managed last year.
Takuma Sato was second-quickest in the Rahal Letterman Lanigan entry with a time 0.7 seconds off Andretti's, but the Japanese driver ended the morning in the barriers when he lost the rear of his car and spun into the wall just after Turn 10.
HVM's Simona de Silvestro crashed almost simultaneously at Turn 8, causing the session to be briefly red-flagged. The session returned to green with just 90s left on the clock, meaning that there was little opportunity for anyone to change the order.
AJ Foyt Racing's Mike Conway was third-fastest ahead of KV Racing's Tony Kanaan and Panther's JR Hildebrand, who was one of the few drivers to improve after the restart.
Several drivers, including most of the Ganassi team, elected not to run at all in anticipation of drier conditions over the rest of the weekend.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 1m17.2298s
2. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 1m17.9448s + 0.7150s
3. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 1m18.2396s + 1.0098s
4. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevrolet 1m19.2201s + 1.9903s
5. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevrolet 1m19.5781s + 2.3483s
6. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevrolet 1m19.6077s + 2.3779s
7. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 1m19.6864s + 2.4566s
8. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevrolet 1m20.0477s + 2.8179s
9. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevrolet 1m20.8696s + 3.6398s
10. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m20.8931s + 3.6633s
11. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m20.9018s + 3.6720s
12. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevrolet 1m20.9135s + 3.6837s
13. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevrolet 1m21.2195s + 3.9897s
14. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevrolet 1m22.7224s + 5.4926s
15. Oriol Servia Dreyer & Reinbold DW12-Lotus 1m23.2228s + 5.993 s
16. Alex Tagliani BHA DW12-Lotus 1m24.2307s + 7.0009s
17. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 1m24.4915s + 7.2617s
18. Katherine Legge Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m25.7130s + 8.4832s