Kasper Anderson gave Danish newcomer FC Midtiylland pole position for today's opening Superleague Formula race at Zolder after beating Rangers' John Martin in the final qualifying shoot-out.
The Danish driver's 1m19.878s lap was sufficient to pip his Australian rival by 0.078s.
"I'm very proud to have achieved Midtylland's first SLF pole in only its second qualifying session," said Anderson, who drove for Olympiacos in the inaugural season. "It's also my first SLF 'pole' so it's doubly special for me."
Martin said he was more than happy with a front row position.
"Magny-Cours did not go well and so to earn a front row grid position in our own right is a good reward for the team who have worked very hard," he said.
"It was almost pole -- it was very close at the end. I'm currently at the bottom of the standings so my aim is to score well."
Championship leader Liverpool will start fourth with Adrian Valles, behind Basel's Max Wissel.
Dominick Muermans' PSV Eindhoven car ended up at the back of the grid after crashing early on, while Olympiacos' Davide Rigon, who took Beijing Gouan to last year's title, picked up a six-place penalty for tangling with Nelson Panciatici (Olympique Lyonnais) in the group B session.TIMES:
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Kasper Andersen Midtylland 1m19.878s
2. John Martin Rangers 1m19.956s
3. Max Wissel Basel 1m21.429s
4. Adrian Valles Liverpool 1m20.847s
5. Tristan Gommendy Porto 1m35.517s
6. Craig Dolby Tottenham Hotspur 1m19.812s
7. Esteban Guerrieri Al Ain 1m21.134s
8. Pedro Petiz Sporting 1m20.730s
9. Yelmer Buurman Anderlecht 1m19.950s
10. Antonio Pizzonia Corinthians 1m19.663s
11. Duncan Tappy Galatasaray 1m19.974s
12. Giorgio Pantano AC Milan 1m20.341s
13. Ho-Pin Tung Atletico Madrid 1m20.006s
14. Nelson Panciatici Olympique Lyonnais 1m20.395s
15. Davide Rigon Olympiacos 1m19.629s
16. Enrique Bernoldi Flamengo 1m20.344s
17. Jonathan Kennard AS Roma 1m21.815s
18. Dominick Muermans PSV Eindhoven 1m24.459s