Last year's winners Strakka Racing also led the class, despite carrying additional ballast, but the car did not last the night. The Greaves Motorsport-run Zytek driven by Tom Kimber-Smith, Karim Ojjeh and Olivier Lombard could not quite match the front runners on pace but it outlasted them and its drivers were quick and consistent, which in a class whose ultimate order was largely dictated by attrition proved to be winning attributes.
GTE Pro unfolded in an entirely unpredicted fashion as the much-fancied BMW M3s encountered repeated electrical problems.
Assisted by a well-timed stop before the first safety car, the No. 74 Chevrolet Corvette driven by Oliver Gavin, Jan Magnussen and Richard Westbrook took a lead which they defended until 8am on the Sunday - seemingly Chevy's bogey hour at Le Mans - when Magnussen crashed out at the Ford chicane while lapping a Porsche. That allowed the No. 51 Giancarlo Fisichella/Gianmaria Bruni/Toni Vilander AF Corse Ferrari back into the lead, but it also encountered electrical trouble and Vilander had an off late in the race.
The first safety car had punished the Olivier Beretta/Tom Milner/Antonio Garcia No. 73 Corvette as much as it had assisted the sister car, and Chevrolet's cause wasn't aided when Beretta had a small off-track excursion on Sunday morning, but Milner managed to rope in and pass the No. 51 Ferrari before lunchtime.
The delayed No. 56 BMW of Andy Priaulx/Dirk Muller/Joey Hand fought back into contention, dispensing with the Felbermayr Porsche late on Sunday morning, to claim the final podium spot.
The GTE Am class was nothing if not dramatic, and battles between its entrants provided tremendous entertainment throughout the opening hours. Unfortunately many of them lacked stamina, and the Ferrari 458s – glorious-sounding cars in true Le Mans style – suffered electrical trouble and fuelling glitches.
There were also a number of crashes as the gentlemen racers ran out of energy and concentration – sadly, this was the fate of the No. 60 AMR Aston Martin which led the race for several hours through the night.
Larbre Competition's Corvette and Porsche entries took the top spots on the podium; Patrick Bornhauser, Julien Canal and Gabriele Gardel won in their Chevrolet, with Canal very much the backbone of the driving effort.
Pos Car Team Class Gap
1. No. 2 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1)
2. No. 9 Peugeot Team Peugeot Total (LMP1) + 13.854
3. No. 8 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 2 Laps
4. No. 7 Peugeot Peugeot Sport Total (LMP1) + 4 Laps
5. No. 10 Peugeot Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP1) + 16 Laps
6. No. 12 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) + 17 Laps
7. No. 22 Lola Kronos Racing (LMP1) + 27 Laps
8. No. 41 Zytek Greaves Motorsport (LMP2) + 29 Laps
9. No. 26 Oreca Signatech Nissan (LMP2) + 35 Laps
10. No. 33 Lola Level 5 Motorsports (LMP2) + 36 Laps
11. No. 73 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) + 41 Laps
12. No. 36 HPD RML (LMP2) + 41 Laps
13. No. 51 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) + 41 Laps
14. No. 49 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 42 Laps
15. No. 56 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 42 Laps
16. No. 77 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) + 43 Laps
17. No. 76 Porsche IMSA Performance Matmut (GTEP) + 44 Laps
18. No. 80 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEP) + 45 Laps
19. No. 40 Oreca Race Performance (LMP2) + 51 Laps
20. No. 50 Corvette Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 53 Laps
21. No. 70 Porsche Larbre Competition (GTEA) + 54 Laps
22. No. 65 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) + 60 Laps
23. No. 75 Porsche Prospeed Competition (GTEP) + 62 Laps
24. No. 66 Ferrari JMW Motorsport (GTEP) + 65 Laps
25. No. 35 OAK OAK Racing (LMP2) + 67 Laps
26. No. 68 Ford Robertson Racing (GTEA) + 70 Laps
27. No. 83 Ferrari JMB Racing (GTEA) + 83 Laps
28. No. 44 Norma Extr (LMP2) + 108 Laps
29. No. 16 Pescarolo Pescarolo Team (LMP1) Retired
30. No. 55 BMW BMW Motorsport (GTEP) Retired
31. No. 74 Corvette Corvette Racing (GTEP) Retired
32. No. 81 Porsche Flying Lizard Motorsports (GTEA) Retired
33. No. 48 Oreca Team Oreca-Matmut (LMP2) Retired
34. No. 63 Porsche Proton Competition (GTEA) Retired
35. No. 13 Lola Rebellion Racing (LMP1) Retired
36. No. 61 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEA) Retired
37. No. 59 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) Retired
38. No. 71 Ferrari AF Corse (GTEP) Retired
39. No. 88 Porsche Team Felbermayr-Proton (GTEP) Retired
40. No. 42 HPD Strakka Racing (LMP2) Retired
41. No. 60 Aston Gulf AMR Middle East (GTEA) Retired
42. No. 39 Lola PeCom Racing (LMP2) Retired
43. No. 89 Ferrari Hankook Team Farnbacher (GTEP) Retired
44. No. 58 Ferrari Luxury Racing (GTEP) Retired
45. No. 64 Lotus Lotus Jetalliance (GTEP) Retired
46. No. 57 Ferrari Krohn Racing (GTEA) Retired
47. No. 24 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
48. No. 1 Audi Audi Sport Team Joest (LMP1) Retired
49. No. 5 Oreca Hope Racing (LMP1) Retired
50. No. 62 Ferrari CRS Racing (GTEA) Retired
51. No. 15 OAK OAK Racing (LMP1) Retired
52. No. 79 Aston Jota (GTEP) Retired
53. No. 20 Zytek Quifel-ASM Team (LMP1) Retired
54. No. 3 Audi Audi Sport North America (LMP1) Retired
55. No. 007 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired
56. No. 009 AMR-One Aston Martin Racing (LMP1) Retired