Kazuki Nakajima returned Toyota to the top of the timesheets in the final practice session ahead of Sunday's Fuji 6 Hours round of the FIA World Endurance Championship.
With two minutes of the session to run there was less than one tenth of a second to choose between the two Audis, 1-2 in the timesheets, and the lone Toyota.
That changed dramatically however when Nakajima, back in the Toyota line-up for the first time since the Le Mans 24 Hours, suddenly shaved more than one second off his own best to set a 1m27.567s and seal top spot.
Both Audis were also out on track and improving, but were unable to deny Nakajima.
Benoit Treluyer eventually claimed second in the championship-leading R18 e-tron quattro, seven tenths of a second down from Toyota, with Tom Kristensen fractions further down the road in third.
David Brabham was best of the rest, finishing as fastest privateer LMP1 in the JRM HPD.
The Starworks HPD ARX-03b was again quickest in LMP2, although the top five entrants were covered by less than half a second.
In GTE Pro meanwhile the Felbermayr-Proton Porsche was fastest, this time from the two AF Corse Ferraris.
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time
1. P1 Wurz/Lapierre/Nakajima Toyota 1m27.567s
2. P1 Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer Audi 1m28.296s
3. P1 Kristensen/McNish Audi 1m28.482s
4. P1 Brabham/Chandhok/Dumbreck JRM HPD 1m30.432s
5. P1 Prost/Jani Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m30.486s
6. P1 Leventis/Watts/Kane Strakka HPD 1m30.740s
7. P1 Belicchi/Primat Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m30.967s
8. P1 Baguette/Kraihamer/Sato OAK Pescarolo-Honda 1m31.570s
9. P2 Potolicchio/Dalziel/Sarrazin Starworks HPD 1m32.673s
10. P2 Panciatici/Ragues/Rusinov Signatech ORECA-Nissan 1m32.865s
11. P2 Nicolet/Lahaye/Pla OAK Morgan-Nissan 1m32.881s
12. P2 Liuzzi/Rossiter/Weeda Lotus Lola-Lotus 1m32.891s
13. P2 Perez Companc/Minassian/Kaffer Pecom ORECA-Nissan 1m33.108s
14. P2 Martin/Graves/Nakano Greaves ORECA-Nissan 1m33.912s
15. P2 Mailleux/Lombard/Tresson Signatech ORECA-Nissan 1m34.441s
16. P2 Zugel/Gonzalez/Julian Greaves Zytek-Nissan 1m34.927s
17. P2 Holzer/Schultis Lotus Lola-Lotus 1m35.090s
18. P2 Giroix/Ihara/Deletraz Gulf Lola-Nissan 1m35.910s
19. GTE P Lieb/Lietz Felbermayr Porsche 1m40.684s
20. GTE P Fisichella/Bruni AF Ferrari 1m41.284s
21. GTE P Bertolini/Beretta AF Ferrari 1m41.349s
22. GTE A Bornhauser/Canal/Lamy Larbre Corvette 1m41.604s
23. GTE A Belloc/Bourret/Gibon Larbre Corvette 1m41.746s
24. GTE A Krohn/Jonsson/Rugolo Krohn Ferrari 1m41.945s
25. GTE P Mucke/Turner Aston Martin 1m41.987s
26. GTE A Ried/Roda/Ruberti Felbermayr Porsche 1m42.027s
27. GTE A Camathias/Kobayashi/Daniels JWA Porsche 1m43.301s