Michael Lewis scored his first Formula 3 Euro Series win in the reversed-grid race at Valencia on Saturday.
The 21-year-old American started from pole, outdragged his Prema teammate Sven Muller down to the first corner and was never headed. Muller eventually finished 0.6sec behind with Mucke's Pascal Wehrlein keeping his title hopes alive by finishing third and reducing Daniel Juncadella's championship lead to 29 points with 85 remaining from the final three races.
Race one winner Raffaele Marciello's title hopes took a hit when he ran wide at Turn 12 early in the race and broke his Prema car's left-rear suspension as he bounced over the curbs and briefly into the gravel. His retirement means that he is now an increased 33.5 points behind his teammate Juncadella in the title battle and has dropped behind Wehrlein too.
The loss of Marciello turned a sextet of fourth-placed contenders into a quintet, with the last of the title protagonists, Carlin's Will Buller, again holding up cars as he had done in race one.
Emil Bernstorff tried to pass him around the outside of the final corner on lap four, but was forced wide by Buller and then squeezed toward the pit wall down the following start/finish straight.
While this was happening, Bernstorff's Ma-con teammate Tom Blomqvist and Juncadella pulled alongside to make it four-wide into Turn 1. Blomqvist snatched fourth on the inside as Bernstorff ran wide.
Bernstorff was forced wide at the exit of Turn 2 after attempting again to pass Buller, and almost lost his place to Felix Rosenqvist. The Swede, who had squeezed by Juncadella in the melee, lost momentum and was forced to cede the place back to the Spaniard at the next corner.
Bernstorff finished fifth with Buller, Juncadella and Rosenqvist following in that order. Andrea Roda and Carlos Sainz Jr. – who started last – completed the top 10.
Results - 14 laps:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Michael Lewis Prema Dallara-Merc 20m30.518s
2. Sven Muller Prema Dallara-Merc + 0.643s
3. Pascal Wehrlein Mucke Dallara-Merc + 1.829s
4. Tom Blomqvist Ma-con Dallara-VW + 7.488s
5. Will Buller Carlin Dallara-VW + 13.615s
6. Emil Bernstorff Ma-con Dallara-VW + 14.524s
7. Daniel Juncadella Prema Dallara-Merc + 14.789s
8. Felix Rosenqvist Mucke Dallara-Merc + 15.595s
9. Andrea Roda Zeller Dallara-Merc + 18.064s
10. Carlos Sainz Jr Carlin Dallara-VW + 20.615s
11. Luis Sa Silva Angola Dallara-Merc + 22.321s
12. Lucas Wolf URD Dallara-Merc + 28.810s
13. Sandro Zeller Zeller Dallara-Merc + 29.439s
Raffaelle Marciello Prema Dallara-Merc 3 laps