Marcos Ambrose says he is close to a new deal with Richard Petty Motorsports that would see him remain in place for a third consecutive season with the team. The Australian, who won consecutive V8 Supercars titles with Ford in 2003 and '04. says he remains committed to his NASCAR Sprint Cup career, the highlight of which so far is back-to-back wins at Watkins Glen this season and last.
Ambrose currently ranks 18th in the points with just five races left this season. Two fifth-place finishes at Bristol and Michigan are his best results on ovals. He also set a record pole at Michigan in June, followed by another one at Sonoma a week later.
"We are all squared away as far as what the expectations are on both sides and it is just a matter of finishing it off at this point," Ambrose said about ongoing negotiations with RPM. "I can't see any reason why I wouldn't want to be a part of Richard Petty Motorsports in 2013.
"There are a lot of good things to look forward to. We have built a great team and have great partners with Ford and Roush with their engine program and also the engineering support. We have the new 2013 Fusion coming out, which is really exciting.
"I want to be in NASCAR. I want to be around and I want to drive for Richard Petty Motorsports. I am a big supporter of Ford and Richard Petty and the whole RPM team. They had to get their own house in order and I look forward to working with them. I want to be with Richard Petty Motorsports in 2013 and we are all working together to get that done as quickly as we can."
On Friday, RPM announced it is set to continue its relationship with Ford for a fourth year in 2013.