Fernando Alonso handed Ferrari the perfect start to Formula 1's in-season test at Mugello by going fastest on the opening morning. The times, however, mattered little on a day which started wet and dried throughout as the 11-strong field – missing only HRT – headed out.
Alonso's best, a 1m22.444s, was more than one second clear of red Bull's Mark Webber, the Australian running with an array of rear sensors as the squad attempted to gain a better understand the sidepod configuration it took to Bahrain.
Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne, who stopped out on circuit barely an hour in to bring out the first of two red flags, was third fastest, ahead of Jerome D'Ambrosio in the Lotus.
Nico Rosberg, cause of the second red flag when his Mercedes stopped at Turn 4 – at the same time as Alonso's F2012 halted at Turn 8 – was fifth, ahead of Kamui Kobayashi and Oliver Turvey, the Briton deputizing along with Gary Paffett for McLaren regulars Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.
Force India's Jules Bianchi opted to sit out most of the morning due to the wet conditions, but managed to complete 18 laps in the dry. He ended eighth fastest ahead of Caterham's Rodolfo Gonzalez, Marussia's Charles Pic and Williams's Valtteri Bottas.
Pos Driver Team Time
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m22.444s
2. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m23.648s + 1.204s
3. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m23.891s + 1.447s
4. Jerome d'Ambrosio Lotus-Renault 1m24.048s + 1.604s
5. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m24.100s + 1.656s
6. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m24.736s + 2.292s
7. Oliver Turvey McLaren-Mercedes 1m25.303s + 2.859s
8. Jules Bianchi Force India-Mercedes 1m25.475s + 3.031s
9. Rodolfo Gonzalez Caterham-Renault 1m27.197s + 4.753s
10. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1m27.359s + 4.915s
11. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m29.179s + 6.735s
All Timing Unofficial