Alonso rules out fighting for win
Fernando Alonso says he is not thinking of victory at the Hungarian Grand Prix, despite securing pole position on Saturday.
The Renault driver gave his team its first pole since the 2006 season in a session marked by Felipe Massa's accident and by the confusion caused by the timing failing at the end of it. But despite emerging on top, Alonso admitted Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber remain the favorites for tomorrow. The Spaniard also hinted at having opted for a low-fuel run in Q3.
"This is a special circuit for me. I had my first win here in 2003, so I will always be happy when I drive in Budapest and it will be interesting tomorrow," said Alonso. "We made a step forward and the car did improve in the last 2two races. We are more competitive, maybe not as quick as these two guys. We hope to score some good points tomorrow.
He added: "We will try (to win) but being honest and realistic, our target is to get some good points. After the last four races where we only scored points in the Nurburgring we need some points for the constructors', and we know if we start very heavy we go around eighth or ninth position.
"We are aggressive this time; we did what we wanted for pole, from now on we will push for the race. We need to go for it."
The two-time World Champion said he has been encouraged by Renault's progress in the last races, and he is optimistic of a strong second half of the season.
"It seems that in the last two or three races the new stuff we put in the car is working really well," he said. "I am confident we found a good direction to go in terms of improving the car and this is the first good result of the championship so far. So, hopefully, the second half of the season will be more in this room, but hopefully we can fight for Q3 and be in top five a little bit more often."