Fernando Alonso put Ferrari on top in the second Thursday practice session for the Monaco Grand Prix.
The Spaniard led the way for the majority of the afternoon, staying ahead of McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes' Nico Rosberg and the second McLaren of Jenson Button, while championship leader Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull was back in fifth.
Alonso's session began with a near-miss when he almost ran into the back of teammate Felipe Massa in the Swimming Pool section as the Brazilian cruised around on a slower lap. Intra-team disaster averted, Alonso took the top spot next time around.
That 1m16.408s lap stood as the best until drivers started switching to super soft tires midway through the session. Vettel briefly hit the front then, but only for a few minutes before Alonso blitzed the champion's time by half a second with a 1m15.123s that would go unbeaten. His rivals edged closer, with Vettel pushed back to fifth behind Hamilton, Rosberg and Button, but Alonso's time kept him in front.
Massa also showed good pace to take sixth, while Michael Schumacher came back from his morning crash to go seventh for Mercedes.
After missing the morning with a gearbox issue, Mark Webber had KERS troubles on the way to eighth this afternoon. Adrian Sutil (Force India) and Nick Heidfeld (Renault) completed the top 10.
There were fewer incidents than in first practice, although Vitaly Petrov slid into the barriers on the approach to the chicane and did minor damage to his Renault, and Jaime Alguersuari did likewise to his Toro Rosso at Ste Devote, where Williams' Pastor Maldonado and Lotus' Heikki Kovalainen (twice) visited the run-off without drama.
Paul di Resta's session was ended by a mechanical problem, the Force India losing drive after 35 minutes. Tonio Liuzzi did not take part in the session, hydraulic issues being discovered while the Hispania crew repaired the damage from his morning incident.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m15.123s 42
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.228s + 0.105 33
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m15.321s + 0.198 44
4. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.448s + 0.325 38
5. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m15.667s + 0.544 46
6. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m15.781s + 0.658 45
7. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m16.356s + 1.233 33
8. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m16.642s + 1.519 42
9. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m17.101s + 1.978 46
10. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m17.126s + 2.003 38
11. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m17.337s + 2.214 35
12. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m17.541s + 2.418 47
13. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m17.570s + 2.447 39
14. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m17.581s + 2.458 32
15. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m17.633s + 2.510 49
16. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m17.706s + 2.583 37
17. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m17.789s + 2.666 43
18. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m18.266s + 3.143 50
19. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m18.490s + 3.367 39
20. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m19.053s + 3.930 15
21. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m19.185s + 4.062 40
22. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m19.338s + 4.215 35
23. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m22.066s + 6.943 33
All Timing Unofficial