Alan Rudolph has been named the 2013 recipient of the Dan Wheldon / FWT Karting Ambassador Award by Formula Kart Productions. The 42-year-old Arizonan has a long and successful history of racing and working in the karting industry dating back to 1979, when he competed in his first kart race.
Rudolph was presented with a copy of the Michael Voorhees photo book created by Voorhees and Dan Wheldon for the late IndyCar star's family, friends and fans. Rudolph will also have his name inscribed on a plaque that will be attached to the perpetual DW/FWT Karting Ambassador Trophy, to be displayed at future FWT events.
The award is given annually to the Florida Winter Tour participant who best represents karting with a fiercely competitive spirit, a helpful and positive attitude, and a professional image. The purpose of the award is twofold. First, to honor the memory of Dan Wheldon. Second, to inspire others to be aware of and adopt the personal attributes that made Dan Wheldon an outstanding driver, father, friend and a strong and positive image for the karting community.
Rudolph has won races and championships, and stood on podiums in four disciplines of kart sport, including sprint, road racing, oval and endurance. And he has done so on race tracks the world over. He is a reigning FWT Class Champion with a competition record at the FWT that currently includes 9 race wins and 12 podium finishes. Here is a short list of some of his racing accomplishments:
• Former WKA National & Grand National Champion
• Former SKUSA Pro Shifter Kart Champion & multi time race winner
• Five Time Rock Island Grand Prix "King of the Streets" Winner
• Winner of multiple WKA Road Races at Daytona International Speedway
• All time lap record holder for 250cc SuperKart at Road America circuit
• Raced LMP 2 at the Petite LeMans
• Former Star Mazda Rookie of the year and race winner
• Former Skip Barber Scholarship Winner
• Former SCCA Sports 2000 Champion
• Former ASA Speed Truck Driver
RECENT KARTING ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• 2012 Florida Winter Tour Rotax DD2 Masters Champion
• 2012 Rotax Max United States Rotax DD2 Masters National Champion
• 2012 Rotax Team USA member, and Team Captain
• 2013 Challenge of the America Rotax DD2 Masters Champion
• 2013 FWT DD2 Masters Race winner
In addition to his racing activities, for the past 14 years Rudolph has been the general manager and chief instructor at the Bob Bondurant SuperKart School. In 2008 he chose to reduce his racing commitments so he could focus his efforts on giving back to the sport he says has given him so much. In 2009 Alan took on the role of president of the Stars of Karting series. Currently, in addition to his duties at the Bondurant School, he is the Director or Competition for Superkarts USA. And he recently started a local Rotax Max Challenge series to help grow karting in his home market.